Friday 15 June 2012

SHE'S MY DAUGHTER.........

~20 years ago~

My heart beat faster and faster as the little girl came into the room. I couldn’t see her face. Her eyes were glued to her brown shoes. Her dress, also brown, seemed not to fit her well. It was a little too small.

I was still confused, whether it would be right. Have I taken a right decision? The only thing I knew was that a widowed woman like me has to find a reason to live and this can be my reason.

Mrs. Sinha brought her closer to me. I reached out to her. She stepped back. Mrs. Sinha looked at me, asking me to try once more.

I didn’t want to try once more. I didn’t want to scare her. I wanted to give her space. I can’t force her to do this. I decided to wait until she herself finds it good to come near me.

“Maya, this is Mrs. Sharma. She will take you to her house. Maya, please, look at me while I’m talking to you.” Mrs. Sinha was polite but her words were not.

Maya, the little girl, looked up. I saw tears in her green eyes. I felt some kind of discomfort in her. I don’t know whether she was ready or not.

I looked at her. She looked at me. We said nothing. But, I believe our eyes talked to each other. Our eyes said million words. This was an amazing feeling which I cannot explain, the only thing is that I found my daughter there.

All of a sudden, she stepped forward. My heart beat even faster.

“Do you have cats?” she asked.

I smiled. I nodded.

“Good. Let’s go to your house. Let’s see if you can be my mother.”

Her simplicity was really adorable. In those just two lines, she won me.


~Today~

There she is, Maya, my daughter. She looks beautiful on her graduation day. She is now Maya Sharma, CEO of a multinational company, my smart adopted daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment